Sunday, January 25, 2009

Getting Started


I am getting ready to launch this art project. Inspired by the 29-day project from 2008, my goal is to create some sort of visual art piece and then post the results here daily. Over the years, I have found that I have a hard time committing to doing art; it seems to get stuck forever on the low priorities list. There was always something more pressing to do. I had some legitimate excuses for my endless procrastination, but often it was plain old laziness. The other issue is the self critic who never believes the what I made was "good enough" for others to view.

When I took art classes, one of the most helpful parts was to just have the assignments and the accountability. I have to admit that in my painting class at Merritt College, I would often wake up at 5 am on Saturdays to begin and complete my work for the 10 am class. I also enjoyed the easing into my creative world by having to do quick gesture sketches in my figure drawing class. It was just the transition I needed from my work at Fred Finch Youth Center; there were many times that I ran to class right after witnessing a dysfunctional family fall apart right in front of me. I needed to see and make some attempt at bringing something beautiful into my world. The human body is such a perfect form. It was also great to have the support from the community of teachers and fellow students. We learned how to give and accept critique.

I have come to accept that I need something outside of me to get me going in art. Derek and his friends did the song a day project last year (and they are going for it again this year) so why not piggy back and do art-a-day? My goal is to have fun, do and to dim my self-critic's volume a bit. I also hope to get other artists/photographers to join in the fun too. If you are interested, pass me a note. I am going to begin this February 1, 2009.

Right now, I use the term "art piece" rather loosely to include sketches or unfinished work to work deemed complete - work that I might have been cautious to share with others. It can be in any format - drawing, painting or photo. Whatever is inspiring at that moment. The main hope is to just do something and to get some of the creative juices flowing again.
-Amy

"Illusions are art, for the feeling person, and it is by art that you live, if you do."
Elizabeth Bowen
Irish novelist & short story author (1899 - 1973)

No comments:

Post a Comment